Pets Galore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets Galore

A forum to help answer questions about your new pet

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Petsgaloreky.comPetsgaloreky.com  

mangrove monitor

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-01-10

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 10:27 pm

i have owned several savannah monitors in the past, i know the basic care of monitors.
i have just recently purchase a magrove monitor. it's about 18 inches long, it lives in a 6ft long, 3ft deep, and 3 ft tall. the two basking spots are 115 degrees and the air temp is 86-90 degrees, the humidity is 65%,
also several branches and hidespots.
i was just wandering if anyone can tell me anythng else about mangrove monitors?
clifford
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-12-30

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 am

Clifford, a mangrove is a BIG step up from a savannah. They are capable of reaching 4+ feet in length and have fairly specialized needs. I have maintained several in shops but have never owned one personally but they seem to do best in a set-up similar to what you describe but with a water retreat. Although the cage likely seems like a castle to it now you will eventually need a much larger enclosure to properly house it. I would recommend building one for it before it gets too big.

Please be sure you are ready to commit to a very large, possibly dangerous animal before this lizard gets too big for you to handle.

OK...I'll climb down from my soap-box now Arrow
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 3:45 pm

well thanks jeosbo
but how big of a cage are you talking about
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm

I usually build big but I would say no smaller than twice the expected length of the lizard long and the lizards length from front to back. For a 4 foot monitor I would build a cage that is at least 8 foot by 4 foot. If you do plan to do this let me know and I can help out with it. I actually think I live right around the corner from you (if you are the Clifford I think you are) on Wooded Way. Let me know
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 pm

yeah i live on toy ct.
have you seen me walking around with an albino burm or savannah monitor, something?
um that would be great!
when i get the supplies ill let you know.
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 am

clifford wrote:
yeah i live on toy ct.
have you seen me walking around with an albino burm or savannah monitor, something?

Nah, I just know from talking to the guys at the shop, I work too much to know what goes on at home Sad
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 5:00 pm

oh ok
well that is cool.
im going to buy a few more monitors
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 5:14 pm

clifford wrote:

im going to buy a few more monitors
Get ready to breed rodents...most of the bigger monitors will eat you out of house and home!
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 5:34 pm

thats pretty gross
but yeah i know my mangrove just seems to pick the day it wants to eat.
so do you own reptiles to?
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:17 am

I have a few, used to have many more but I have focused more on fish and frogs for the last several years.
The only reptiles I currently keep are bearded dragons, Holaspis guentheri, mourning geckos and a western hognose.
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 am

do you have pioson arrow frogs?
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am

Not right now, for a few years I was breeding a dozen or so different species, but had to downsize. I will be breeding them again in the future, just need a few things to work out first.
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-01-01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:30 pm

wow poison dart frogs aka painted frogs here in the ville, hehehe, yep i would like to have a few of those dude it would be nice to see them around, put me on the list for a couple, dude you are a bad enfluence man you are not helping my disorder of all things pet related.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:57 pm

im interested but i dont know what kind of substrate to use.
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 am

jeosbo01 i have a female albino burm, male blood python, pair of balls, two female red headed agmas, a male atb, a mangrove monitor, tangerine honduran , and a hypo cornsnake.
looking for some retics, male albino burm, female blood.
Back to top Go down
PeterVE
Admin
Admin
PeterVE

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-12-13

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:52 am

Clifford man,

What on earth are you going to do with these large snakes man?? I don't think your parents are going to be too happy with a pair of 10 foot burms in their house man.

Peter VE
Back to top Go down
http://www.petsgaloreky.com
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:40 am

Let me preface this by saying on no uncertain terms that this is strictly MY opinion, not that of Pets Galore, the KHS or any other organization, group or business that I am associated with***

I really feel that most keepers are not able to properly care for large snakes (burms, retics, af rocks, condas, etc.) and that it is irresponsible and dangerous for them to attempt to do so.
My house is barely large enough to house a pair of retics.
Clifford, don't take offense to this but I really don't think that just anyone off the street should be allowed to purchase these large constrictors. I feel that it is irresponsible of vendors to provide these animals to the general public. Particularly to a 15 year old, again no offense, I'm just thinking back to when I was 15 and although at the time I would probably not have hesitated to buy a retic, I had NO business owning one.
I would like to remind everyone of what happened to Patrick VonAllmen a couple of years ago (http://kyherpsoc.org/patrick/ ). Stories like this are tragic for us all. We lost a member of our family, many of us lost a good friend and all herp keepers were brought under fire from those who don't think we should even be allowed to keep herps at all.
Again, I hope you can take this criticism without offense, I don't want to do anything other than express my opinion and hopefully keep someone from buying an animal that they are not ready to provide for and that could potentially become VERY dangerous in the future.
At any rate, sounds like you have a sweet collection going, keep us posted on how it develops!
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

Also, when I get back into dart frogs I will be happy to help you guys keep them. They are tricky and require daily attention, but they are rewarding and IMO quite worth the effort!
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm

peter my parents like burms and retics.
we are moving pretty soon to alot bigger house.
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Clifford, I have deleted your last post.

All personal feeling aside, name calling is a clear violation of the rules of this forum, please refrain from it in the future.

I do feel that the core point of the post is important for everyone to hear though so I will paraphrase it.

**A large retic should never be handled by anyone alone! At least 2 responsible and able bodied people should be present, more for larger snakes.**

If this does not sum up your feelings please let me know and I will rectify the situation.
Back to top Go down
mat
Hatchling
Hatchling
mat

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-01-31

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 6:31 pm

late to reply. but i like the mangrove monitors. i had one years ago, it was not much for handling but it was great to watch exploring the cage. it sounds like you've got a good set up for now. enjoy.
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:28 pm

mat what havent you had dude, hehehe, see you at work.. Cool
Back to top Go down
mat
Hatchling
Hatchling
mat

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-01-31

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm

well there was this girl i tried to keep but there is some pesky laws that keep you from owning them so that is one thing i have not owned.
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Mat...you need a basement Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 pm

mat what girl was that aye.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mangrove monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: mangrove monitor   mangrove monitor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mangrove monitor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pets Galore :: Animal Questions :: Reptiles and Amphibians-
Jump to: