Pets Galore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets Galore

A forum to help answer questions about your new pet

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Petsgaloreky.comPetsgaloreky.com  

breeding frontosa

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-01-01

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 pm

ok i have read several articles on the web and i have read a few books, but they are all the same on knowledge, but has anyone here in louisville or ky bred frontosa before and if so what was the statistics like PH and hardness what was fed to them and any other helpfull hints i have 7 fronts in a 120gal that are getting to breedable size and i would like to get it right the first time, yeah right like they will do it the first time aye.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-12-30

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 am

Any advice I could give here would just be speculative...I have never tried breeding fronts, they need too much room compared with the stuff I usually like
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 pm

so about that malawi ph and african cichlid salt i got from jason a while back, so i have my ph at 8.0 right now with those buffers i have added and i will get the tanganyika buffer here soon when i am back out there but i have never used this stuff before and it seems like it is working pretty well right now, so when i do a water change all i do is just add the ph buffer and salt for the amount of water i took out right not for the whole size of the tanks volumn again right, just wondering is all, later dude.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-12-30

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 am

I would buffer the water before you put it in if possible (I use a Python for 90 + % of my partials so this isn't an option for me...short of that you are right, you will onle need to buffer the new amount
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 pm

yep i use the python as well so i guess if i take out 50gal of water all i need to do is just replace the buffer at 50gal, cool, see i am special aye, hehehehe, later dude.. Cool
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 pm

well everything worked out so far my ph is at 8.5 and my fronts really colored up and all of the flashing against the rocks stopped as well they seem to be happy now ah just have to get them to breed now, later people.. cheers
Back to top Go down
garbird
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-01-23

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:06 pm

How old are your fronts? And how large are they?
Most of the tank raised fish should'nt require much if any additional buffering in Louisville water. Louisville water is moderatly hard with a Ph around 8.3 on average. There is also a good amount of natural dissolved salts in it. I only add a block of plaster of paris to aid in buffering the water. I also do 50% partials every week.
My 15 fish are only 3.5 years old and range in size from 5" to 8", so breeding is still a ways down the road for them. They usually start breeding around 4 to5 years old, but that is just an average. I'm sure my larger males are ready now but it takes the females a little longer to mature most of the time.
Good luck,
garbird
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm

hey garland whats up well for some reason my water here is not that high in PH but really has a hardness that is high, i do the weekly water changes as well i heard of that plaster of paris from tim and it sounds cool, my fronts are about 3 to 5 inches but i didnt realize they took that long to breed but i really like mine so i will stick with them, hey are you still going to build a pond, i couldnt tell you how old they are i have had them for six months and they werent that big when i got them i would say about 2 inches, later man.. Cool
Back to top Go down
garbird
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-01-23

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 pm

I still plan to build a pond, but I don't have the funds for the size pond I want right now. I'll wait awhile so I can afford to do a more top shelf kind of pond. I'm planning on a pond that will hold about 6500-7500 gallons. With it being 5' deep I'll also need to build a privacy fence around the yard to comply with metro building codes. Can't have stray babies swimming with the fishes can we?
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 7:57 pm

wow thats a huge pond dude, yeah you will need a backhole to dig that out could you imagine your back if you tried to dig that by hand, crap my little 1000 gal pond i dug by hand and a tiller about threw my back out, i was worn out fo sure, and i hear you on the fence as well, i have shelfs in my pond so that if anyone were to fall in wether human or animal they can get out, sounds good, later.. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breeding frontosa Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding frontosa   breeding frontosa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

breeding frontosa
Page 1 of 1