Pets Galore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets Galore

A forum to help answer questions about your new pet

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Petsgaloreky.comPetsgaloreky.com  

A Curiousity

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PeterVE
Admin
Admin
PeterVE

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-12-13

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 7:06 pm

At the store I take care of a 125gal planted tank of discus. I'm curious who as individuals around Louisville keeps or breeds discus. I have always found them to be a more difficult breed of fish to keep but I have had some people lately tell me that they keep theirs in just strait tap water with conditioner. I always like hearing other peoples methods in keeping various species. Any body have something other than RO/DI they are keeping theirs in?

Peter VE
Back to top Go down
http://www.petsgaloreky.com
Phil
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-01

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Pete,

Our local city water is on the hard side with an abundance of dissolved Calcium salts. It is also alkaline with a pH usually exceeding 8.00. If you wish to breed fish that originate from places such as the Amazon basin I would suggest altering the water chemistry to duplicate the soft acidic waters from which they originate. I would suggest using peat in a mechanical canister filter on the aquarium in which they are housed. I would also suggest elevating the temps to the higher range of their optimum. Also, nothing conditions cichlids to breed like an abundance of live foods. You should also place black slate in vertical positions within the tank to provide spawning sites. I would also suggest having the tank heavily planted as discus need to feel secure if they are to thrive and breed.

Just a few thoughts.

Phil
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

Number of posts : 278

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:22 pm

hey peter when i was into the discus scene i just used straight tap here in louisville and never had a problem and i recieved the discus from kentuckiana as well, out of 6 discus i only lost one because i couldnt get it to eat, but the other 5 were fine with weekly water changes and our current water perimeters here in the metro, that was a few years ago but you raise my temptation so i might have to do a discus in the 120gal now, you are not helping my fish disorder dude, hehehe, later man your buddy fish enforcer..><}}}"> Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:25 pm

hey phil your water perimeters are execellent for african cichlids, what do you keep in your tanks..><}}}">
Back to top Go down
Phil
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 7

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 6:46 pm

None currently. I have kept just about everything imaginable over the years though in the way of freshwater. My main focus was always on cichlids though. I kept both lacustrine and riverine Africans, but my favorites were the neo-tropical "guapotes".

Phil
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 am

cool, thanks dude, just curious why no fish..><}}}">
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-12-30

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 am

Yeah Phil...why fish! You act like you have alot of snakes to keep or something lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Curiousity Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Curiousity   A Curiousity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Curiousity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pets Galore :: Animal Questions :: Freshwater Fish-
Jump to: