Pets Galore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets Galore

A forum to help answer questions about your new pet

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Petsgaloreky.comPetsgaloreky.com  

poison dart frog

Go down 
+2
LdyDrgn
clifford
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-01-10

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 2:59 pm

can any one tell me how to set up a dart frog tank?
i have a 55 gal
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-12-30

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 pm

In the bottom you want about 1.5 inches of expanded clay pellets (get those at a hydroponics store). Cover that with about 2 to 3 inches of organic top soil, shape it into hills and valleys. Add plant cuttings, not too many because they will GROW like crazy! Use some carpet moss to cover the rest of the ground. You can add some clean drift wood, or other clean decorations. Keep in mind the frogs' skin is very sensitive, so anything that goes in should be free of any chemicals. Spray it down pretty well, and mist it everyday. The lid should be pretty tight so the flies can't escape, but it needs ventilation as well. You need to let it grow for about a month before adding the frogs. Also, make sure you have some well established fly cultures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.primareptilia.com
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-01-01

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:56 pm

cool that is what i would have done as well with what lady dragon said but all we have to do is find painted frogs because poison dart frogs are illegal here in louisville let me know if anyone finds some painted frogs i want some as well, hehehe.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Dart frogs aren't illegal here, where did you hear that?
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:52 pm

well i live in bullitt county im pretty sure they are not illegal here.
is there anything else i should know before buy them?
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:36 pm

You will need some herptivite and rep-cal... 50/50 mix. When you feed the frogs, you put some of the vitamin mix into a cup, add flies (them flies are quick, so get the lid back on the culture fast, lol), shake it up and dump in with the frogs.
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 pm

they are in louisville i dont know about the other counties in ky and if fish and wildlife enforce that issue or not but here in louisville if caught by animal services it is a misdemeanor and can face fines up to a 1000.00 dallors the law prohibits the keeping of poisonous reptiles, amphibians and insects, i didnt hear it i know it because i read it in the ordinance and yes i know most captive dart frogs lose their toxicity in captivity, but it is the name of the frogs that make them illegal, cool good luck in that, and trust me i am not being a punk about it just thought i would throw that up in the air for all to know aye, hence painted frogs in louisville are not illegal..
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 pm

So that would also apply to any scorpions or spiders people keep in Louisville. Lots of pet shops in Louisville sell those... hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:26 pm

spiders and scorpions are Arachnids and are not consider to be insects so they do not fall into the group so that is why you see pet shops selling them, trust me if pet shops thought they were illegal they wouldnt sell them, fish are not in that group as well..
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 am

Quote: "Any venomous or poisonous reptile, amphibian, arachnid, or insect, however, this restriction shall not include bees."

They are arachnids... is there a different regulation somewhere?

Sorry to hijack your thread, clifford.
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 am

Hey Mike...would it be possible for you to get some clarification on this...I would really like to know exactly what the law states and I know you are the one who can get the latest and greatest info for us ;-)
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 am

Clifford, let me know when you start setting it up and I can try to swing (walk) by. I have set up several dart frog tanks that ranged from very simple to very fancy (waterfalls, foggers, ect.). Ldydrgn is pretty much right on the mark with her advice here...I would follow it to the letter. And just to stress this again...you will need WAY more fruit flies than you think, and you NEED herptivite and rep-cal. If you can't find it let me know and I will send ya' in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks, James *hug*
Back to top Go down
ksmith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-31

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Here is a website that has somethings on making tanks setups, and caring for dart frog. This might help a little

http://brianstropicals.com/building.html
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm

ok here is what i know and found out so far since the 11 yrs of my carreer as an animal enforcement agent this includes reptiles and insects the law which was a class a misdemeanor stated as follows no person shall keep or posses any piosonous or venomous reptile, amphibian or insects, nothing was qouted on arachnids in that time which was law for years now as of the new ordinance changes with regulations it has been amended to what ever ky fish and wildlife suspects as dangerous wildlife or animlas on their lists of people possessing said animals that are illegal to keep, which they have a pretty lengthy list of species so what the new ordianance has done is created more illegal species in louisville which i wasnt aware of til now, so african clawed frogs are now illegal to funny, but what it is geared towards is what ever ky fish and wildlife deems a dangerous animal which includes reptiles, amphibians, rodents, birds and mammals of certain species and several species that is what we have to enforce as well, and again this latest version of the ordianance was just passed so i am up todate as well, james i was going over ky fish and wildlife and the only frogs i seen that were illegal were the cane, giant and marine toads and african clawed frogs i did not see anything on poison dart frogs or Dendrobatidae family but doesnt necessarily mean that they are not illegal here in ky what i will do is call a friend at fish and wildlife to get the definite answer on poison dart frogs. Cool
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:53 pm

hey ladydragon sorry about that i am good friends with the galore and with agents popping in on certain web forums and they do i was trying to protect them in the ways of knowledge and in no way trying to offend you but with the new changes in laws here in the past month or so i guess this old dog needs to learn new tricks but for years that law was on the books and you helped me find some new meaning to the cause of keeping up todate on issues so to put it honest i am now not sure because i do not see it on those types of frogs on ky fish and wildlife lists of species which we all know about fish and wildlife nothing is for sure unless you talk to them which i will do to better my knowledge, and i am not sure on the arachnid issue, due to the old law is what i new and if fish and wildlife say that no one can keep arachnids then i have a new task to make sure everyone is protected in louisville but i will check that out as well, take care.. Cool
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:57 pm

hey ldy dragon if you dont mind me asking were did you read that quote: "Any venomous or poisonous reptile, amphibian, arachnid, or insect, however, this restriction shall not include bees."

so that i may be able to adjust my knowledge, thanks.. Cool
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 pm

It's not in the KY F&W regs, I was interested more in current Louisville regs. I found that quote here:

Louisville ordinance

As you can see, the date on it is 2006, so fairly current.

Did you know in Lexington they have a 6 foot rule on snakes?

It's important to know your city/county regs as well state. Smile
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 pm

We're pretty good friends with Pets Galore, too. We just don't hang out there as much, lol.
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:32 pm

oh ok i see where that was coming from let me explain this version of the ord. this was the one with the wording of pitbulls in it well because metro council members were trying to make an ord that suited the pitbull frenzy we were having in 2006 and make laws stiffer for pitbull owners and what they did was threw other laws like the arachnid and a few others in there as well note the orange highlights they have the words in but this ord was shot down by us and a out cry from the public along with other organizations so this ord was not put into force so the arachnids were never in question but the council members was wanting this ord bad, and honest i am glad that didnt take place but the new ord is on www.louisvilleky.gov under dept and service and then click animal services and i feel a little better on this ord that was passed only a few months ago and really i wasnt aware of the part that they changed on the wildlife and exotic issues, but with any gov job there is always a curve ball sent your way, thats messed up with the length size of a snake in lexington wow, yep i dont get to hang out up there to much on my off time as well, yep i understand all to well about knowing your regs with a city, county or state well you too if you operate a buisness so to say stay on your a game so no one will mess with you when someone complains, take care ladydragon.. Cool
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm

No worries, Mike! I just like to be kept up to date on things. Thanks so much for posting that. Smile
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:18 pm

no problem ladydragon take care and if i can help let me know.. Cool
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 1:50 pm

ok i almost have everything i just have to get those pebbles, wingless fruit flies, and the lights!
Back to top Go down
clifford
Hatchling
Hatchling
clifford

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 8:03 pm

i have zoo med reptivite and zoo med repti cal. is that ok
Back to top Go down
LdyDrgn
Hatchling
Hatchling
LdyDrgn

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 8:31 pm

yup, perfect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

poison dart frog Empty
PostSubject: Re: poison dart frog   poison dart frog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

poison dart frog
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next