Pets Galore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets Galore

A forum to help answer questions about your new pet

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Petsgaloreky.comPetsgaloreky.com  

james

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-01-01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 pm

as of now it is clear, all of a sudden whammo it is gone, the white film was all over the tank gravel, wood and rocks, it didnt peel away nor did it swish away when waving water, i do water changes on every sunday each week at 50% my other tanks 55gal, 20gal, 2x 10gal would cloud up and dissapate in a day or two and nevered really left a white film but i guess my 120gal well at 50% water change would be 60gal of water i was probably moving too much water well you know all about the water changes and how helpful they are but i was concerned about that white film almost algae texture in all would appear so i would almost think it is a newly added chemical or more of a chemical added to our water system and its not like i am not letting the water run for a while before i add the water because i have the python no spill n fill kit and the water runs while draining and i do bucket water changes on the 10gal when i add the water it is cloudy, i am just puzzled to what they are adding to our water, we have a water plant close by as well and it is a sub station from the main plant, confused
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:33 pm

oh forgot to mention this is only happening at warm water levels from the tap because the water is still to cold from the tap.. confused
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 1:35 am

well right now the tank is clear and it is sat night so instead of changing water tomorrow like i do every week i will do my next water change next sun and see how that goes and i will cut it back to about 40% instead of 50%.. confused
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-12-30

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:53 pm

That is strange...If you have time this week try doing 2 20-25% changes instead of one big one...probably won't make much differance, but may. You can get in touch with the water company and they will usually provide a full analysis of the tap water from your substation if you request one (they test and document a couple of hundred times a day I think). They would also be able to tell you if they have changes anything.
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:20 am

cool james, hey i will do a change this weekend and see what happens later.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am

Sounds good...let me know
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 8:48 pm

as of now all tanks look good so i may just end up doing water changes every two weeks my red shoulders are doing nicely all of the atlantis fish are doing fine with those two brevis being the only ones who kicked the bucket later dude.. Cool
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 7:22 pm

james well i have to say waiting an extra week has worked out with the cloudy conditions but i was checking my ammonia level and it was slightly not dangerous but just a tad on the reading, also did you here that story they were doing on wave 3 about how they are testing the drinking water here and finding trace elements and finding prescriptions meds in our water, messed up dude, hey i bought 4 egyptian mouthbrooders last night at the fish meeting, one of the members that work at feeders brought them in for the auction and he stated that they are very aggressive but everything i read says they are passive dwarf cichlids but will get nasty with each other, what do you think, also i am thinking of getting rid of the south americans and just do all tanganyika but i havent made my mind up yet if i do do you want me to bring in those jurupari and severums, later.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 am

pittbull wrote:
everything i read says they are passive dwarf cichlids but will get nasty with each other, what do you think, also i am thinking of getting rid of the south americans and just do all tanganyika but i havent made my mind up yet if i do do you want me to bring in those jurupari and severums, later.. Cool
I have kept them a few times and never had much trouble with them messing with anything that doesn't look like them...they are cool little fish they may not adjust well to a Tanganyikan tank though (they are a riverine species, usually living in water that is softer and warmer than Tang.)
Glad to hear the cloudy water thing is working itself out...weird, just keep an eye on the water quality in there...I would still try a 25% change each week over a 50% every 2 weeks particularly if you are gonna get big into Tanganyikans, alot of them are crazy sensitive to variations in the water and a big change after a couple of weeks of build up may cause you a problem.
As for your South Americans...Bring 'em up, I'd love to get'em!
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 10:47 pm

cool yeah i am thinking on the same lines as a 25 to 30% weekly water change i tested my water at the end of 2 weeks and i was picking up a trace of ammonia in the 120gal all other tanks were fine no signs of any thing going bad, yeah i have decided to keep those egypt mouthbrooders in a 10gal and not mix them with the tanganyika, later dude and as always i appreciate your help.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 am

pittbull wrote:
later dude and as always i appreciate your help.. Cool

Anytime dude, thats why I'm here cheers
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm

hey james what does the galore still have in tanganyika, i really liked the c. brichardi how much are they and i wouldnt mind getting a few let me know you can PM if you would like to, later buddy, oh yeah me and tim are squared away on balance.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Good times...I don't know for sure how much the Chalinochromis are, I wanna say 7-8 bucks but that could be way off in either direction. We got another group of Julies in but Pat (Tims nephew) s taking at leat some of them, maybe all. Still have a few of the L. brevis (and still haven't lost one in the shop, I dunno what happened to yours), still have a few of the N. tretocephalus (you NEED these fish...just don't keep them with frontosa's). We also still have some of the Hap. obliquedens (Victorians...but still a sweet fish) that are going to be smoking hot just don't look that way yet. Can't think of any other Tanganyikans we have right now...
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 11:28 pm

yeah i seen those julis and tim was like pat has dibbs on all of them, man i just got a trio of gold sexfaciatus and some congos i have room enough for a trio of the c. brichardi but i dont have any room for the trets and you are right i cant put them in with the fronts, like to get some dickfieldi julies, later man.. Cool
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 11:34 pm

hey i am going to add a large bag of crushed coral to the 120gal the PH is at 6.4 now, hey i havent used it in so long, do i just add the whole bag and in a few days or so the PH will rise also i am looking for a large rock to be my main piece in the 120gal do you have any ideals on a nice large rock were i dont have to pay a million dollars for it, i really like that white holey rock or if you know who might be selling it cheap for a used piece, later.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 9:23 am

I like KenMulch (Outer Loop and Minor Lane) for getting big rocks, if you are careful you can find some GREAT rock pretty cheap.

I wouldn't add more than a few pounds of the crushed coral a day...rinse it first (that stuff is usually very dusty) then take a couple of handfuls and mix it in with the substrate you have in there...shouldn't have any problems
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 11:41 pm

cool i will check with ken mulch, hey i was just wondering which is better the crushed coral that is white or that african cichlid gravel mix that says it rises the ph but looks like regular natural gravel, thanks man.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 am

I haven't used the african gravel mix, so I can't really comment on it...but I would think they both do about the same
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm

cool thanks dude so i went with the cichlid gravel mix it has alot of sea shells crushed up along with gravel bits really doesnt look to bad of a substrate and i got a nice size rock from ken mulch for 6 bucks all in all pretty cool, thanks again dude.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 8:23 am

No problem man!
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm

cool hey james anything new at the shop going on i havent been around my gran ma passed away this week, also i used that malawi ph and salt buffer that i got from the store and boy did it raise the ph man i lost the other 2 remaining brevis one jumped to the carpet death and i found the other one a floater bloater, but those 4 brevis i have that were small are doing fine, hey has pat already picked thru those julidochromis yet and found a pair and brought the surplus back yet, later man.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:21 am

He has already picked them up...I don't know if he will be keeping them in a group set-up or splitting them into pairs, Tim may know.
That sucks about the brevis. The few we still have in the shop are doing great and we have only heard good stuff about the ones we sold to other people...wonder if your little ones are just messing them up confused
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 pm

yeah really i dont understand the little ones which are now about half the size of the ones you guys got from atlantis well they are just tough dudes in all, hey do you still have the 3 i gave you and if so were you planning on keeping them or breeding them i mean if not and you guys dont want them let me know, my n. multifasciatus are getting some size to them and i may put them in the same tank with the brevis, yeah tim told me a couple of weeks ago that those juli's pat picked up that he was going to get mates and bring the rest back if you hear anything keep me in mind as well if you get some j. dickfieldi's in i am interested in those as well, i think i have became a tanganyika junkie dude, hehehe, so hows life treating you havent talked to you in a while except this computer forum thing, is all well, are you or anyone else entering anything into the fair this year on fish setups, i might but i havent entered a tank before, and dont know how to so to say, later buddy.. Cool
Back to top Go down
jeosbo01
Admin
Admin
jeosbo01

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 am

Man, life has been crazy for the last few weeks...I finally got over that respritory funk that put me down for a couple of weeks and now UPS is working me like a slave, no time for much of anything...
I don't think I will be putting anything in the fair and haven't really talked to anyone about it (other than Erin, she is going to enter a picture or two that she took...no fish from our house though)
Back to top Go down
pittbull
Breeder
Breeder
pittbull

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 pm

cool i was thinking on a small setup, i have a 5gal tank that i could use but i dont know what i can display besides those peacock gudgeons i have which are wonderfull little fish did i ever tell you thanks for telling me about those little guys if not thanks dude, i hear you on the funk i am getting over it again this makes it 3 times this last winter for getting that crap, man i have never been sick as much as i have this last winter all i can say is thanks to my kindergarten daughter for bringing it home to me, hehehehe, oh well life must go on, later dude.. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

james - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: james   james - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

james
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next